BACKGROUND & CONTENT OF THE EVENT
Horizon 2020 provides a unique opportunity to share knowledge, experience and facilities across Europe and beyond. Apart from the financial benefits, it offers the chance for researchers worldwide to participate in ambitious research and innovation projects, improve the international network, create new business opportunities and increase the visibility. It provides an opportunity to tackle global societal challenges together.
There are four main reasons for which the EU fosters international cooperation in research and innovation:
– Access to the latest/best knowledge worldwide
– Tackle global societal challenges more effectively
– Create business opportunities in new and emerging markets
– Use science diplomacy as an influential instrument of external policy.
However, the main challenge for European NCPs and NCPs worldwide is to gather all relevant information for potential applicants to support clients in projects with international cooperation.
In particular, Legal & Financial Rules of H2020 are envisaged from very distinct viewpoints by applicants, beneficiaries and international partners depending on whether the legal entity is established in a Member State/Associated Country or in a Third Country.
The motivation to take part in H2020 projects can also vary significantly, starting from the very basic fact that the applicants can get EU funding or not.
Another example is the newly introduced Art. 14a in the Grant Agreement. This option for the consortium is not often applied (only a few cases) and are therefore not well known.
Applicants from MS/AC often do not perceive the context, challenges and Legal & Financial rules applicable to TC applicants, and vice-versa.
NCPs guiding their clients need to understand the Legal & Financial Rules from both viewpoints (MS/AC and TC) so as to advise their clients and to facilitate understanding between (potential) international consortium members.
OUTCOME FOR PARTICIPANTS
This interactive day will allow
– Exchange good practices and bottlenecks both from the viewpoint of MS/AC and from the viewpoint of TC
– Better mutual understanding of the respective challenges
– Exploration of possibilities for simplification under Horizon Europe
FOR THE BROADER COMMUNITY
We will share our key finding
– with the European Commission, in preparation to the rules for participation and grant agreements in Horizon Europe
– with all interested stakeholders at by webinar in May-June 2019 (exact date tbc)
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Particularly relevant to Legal and Financial NCPs from Members States, Associated Countries and Third Countries
Other contributors (any country) with relevant experience in Horizon 2020 INCO proposals/projects are welcome.
Fee: No participation fee. Travel and Accomodation costs will NOT be reimbursed by the NCP Academy.
Maximum number of participants: 30 NCPs
Note that for security reasons, all participants must register in advance and bring photo ID to verify their identity at the event. Therefore, please to avoid delays, try to arrive in advance so the event starts on time.
In case of questions please contact the organisers (NCP Brussels in cooperation with the other Belgian Legal & Financial NCPs): Michele Kaisin (firstname.lastname@example.org)